Line is the most basic of the elements of design. Different types of lines can communicate different moods:
- Horizontal lines are quiet, calm, and relaxed.
- Vertical lines are strong, rigid, and stable.
- Diagonal lines can be unbalanced, restless, excited or energetic.
- Curved lines are graceful and soft, and can denote fluid movement.
- Zig-zag lines communicate excitement, confusion, or nervousness.
- Dashed or dotted lines are incomplete and allow objects to pass through them.
- Thick lines are strong, bold, and show emphasis
- Thin lines are fragile, delicate, and elegant.